…with hair breakage.
I’m not sure if it’s the endless years of trying to dye my hair “Britney Spears” and “Jessica Simpson” blonde, or the years of blow drying and then flat ironing my hair, but all I know is, I can grab the bottom of my hair and pieces easily break off. Yeahhhh that’s not good.
So I did a little research, and here are some anti-breakage tips that I’m going to try. Maybe you could try them with me?
1. Use sulfate-free shampoo/conditioner. I already use Ken Paves Self Help Shampoo and Conditioner (along with hairspray, etc) because it’s sulfate free and has CoQ-10 in it to strengthen my hair. It’s helped a lot, but of course, I’m trying to reverse YEARS of damage. When I’m done shampooing and conditioning, I quickly rinse my hair with cold water to close the hair shaft to reduce frizz.
2. Squeeze (not rub) wet hair with a towel. Rubbing hair tangles your hair even more AND creates frizz. Can we vow to ONLY squeeze or scrunch our hair with a towel?
3. Use a heat protectant before using a hair dryer/flat iron. Do any of you have suggestions? I have the Chi one but for some reason it makes my hair feel crispy. Using a heat protector can help you have less damage when styling your hair, so this is important.
4. Use a split end sealer between trims. I’m trying to grow my hair out, but there’s no use in that if I have huge split ends. I regularly get trims (about every 2 months or so when I get highlights), but in between that time, I’m using Carol’s Daughter Split End Sealer. I got it from Klout several months ago, and I love it. It’s got a great smell, and I really see a reduction in my split ends. I’m thinking about purchasing their hair mask to try too.
5. One word- biotin. Last month I bought biotin vitamins for my hair to try to strengthen it. The problem? They’re like HORSE pills. I have heard AMAZING things about it though, so I’m going to suck it up and take my pills for more than 2 days. Hopefully I can get into the habit so my hair can grow strong and long!
So what do y’all think? Think I can solve my problem?
If you’ve got breakage, I hope you’ll try these tips/tricks out with me! Also, if you have tips/tricks YOU do to prevent breakage, please share them! Everyone benefits here 😉