As soon as any kind of a breeze hit us here in Waco, Mathew and I made it a point to get into the fall spirit. Mathew and I love to make pies, but because I work and go to school full time, I usually don’t have time for a totally from scratch pie. This Easy Apple Pie is not only easy, but has apples that melt in your mouth, and crust that’s flaky and buttery.
I love the convenience of pre-made pie crust. Yes, I know how to make my own crust, but many times, I just don’t have the time. Plus, pre-made crusts still taste amazing! Also, y’all know how I’m always trying to cut down on calories, so this is my own recipe and modified. It’s still a good amount of calories, but not nearly as many as it would’ve originally been. Try this Easy Apple Pie Recipe- I promise it won’t disappoint.
Ok so here’s what you’ll need:
1 deep dish frozen pie crust (already in the pan)
1-2 pre-made pie crust (the kind that is rolled up)
2 Granny Smith apples
1/2 cup Splenda brown sugar
2/3 stick butter
2 tsp. Vanilla extract
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Nutmeg
Small cookie cutter (I used a heart)
1 large egg
1. Peel your apples and slice/core with an apple slicer.
2. In a small sauté pan, put brown sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter (you can use margarine if you want), and apples on medium. Mix together until combined and cook until apples are al dente (cooked but slightly crisp)
3. While apples are cooking, open your rolled pie crust(s) and lay it flat on a floured surface (I use my counter).
4. Using your small cookie cutter, cut out hearts (or whatever shape) for the top of your pie. I needed to use 2 of the pie crusts just FYI.
5. Dump your pie filling into the deep dish pie crust. Cover with heart pieces.
6. Cook pie at 375 degrees for 30 minutes then brush top with egg. Put pie back in oven for 15-20 mins or until golden brown.
I like my Easy Apple Pie warm, so I wait about 20 mins before chowing down. However, feel free to let it cool completely before eating!
Wasn’t that an easy apple pie? If you love it, sound off in the comments!