Teaching was seriously crazy last week. I feel as though I rushed all week long and just needed to rest. Last week, I was looking to make simple, easy recipes that were delish, and I stumbled upon a broccoli cheese soup recipe. It was good, but I decided to tweak it to make it even YUMMIER than the original. The result? Well- it’s better than Panera broccoli cheese soup!
I originally wrote the recipe to post for my awesome friends at Ruthie and Rose, and thought that I had to share it with y’all too because you definitely would be upset if I hadn’t given y’all this awesome recipe as well.
- 2 bunches of broccoli (one chopped roughly, the other chopped into very small pieces)
- ½ cups shredded carrots
- 1 small sweet yellow onion (minced)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (freshly shredded)
- 1 cup smoked gouda (freshly shredded)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 cup half and half
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- salt and pepper (to taste, depending on saltiness of cheese)
- Put stock, broccoli, carrots, onion, garlic, and the bay leaf in a pot. Put to medium high heat and once it gets to a boil, put a lid on it. Simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes. I like my broccoli cooked enough to where it is tender but not boiled to death.
- Once your veggies are cooked take out your bay leaf and get another small pot and make a roux. Melt your butter on medium with a whisk, and add the flour until it is completely combined with the melted butter. Once incorporated turn off your heat and pour the broth from your veggie pot into it. Whisk until mixed and not lumpy.
- Pour the roux/broth mixture back into the veggie pot and mix. Turn your burner to low and slowly add your half and half.
- Add the cheesey goodness, herbs, salt, and pepper! Remove your soup from the heat and stir until your cheese is fully melted. If you feel like your soup is too thick, feel free to add more broth until it is the consistency you like.
So there ya have it, ladies! I hope you enjoy the soup. It’s a HUGE hit at our house, especially with some nice, crusty bread on the side! Let me know if you try it. I promise it won’t disappoint!