- Purification on a cotton ball inside a diaper pail. This is probably one of our most used essential oil life hacks. I just put one drop of Purification onto a cotton ball and set it at the bottom of the diaper pail. No more stinky diaper smells!
- Thieves and baking soda carpet and mattress deodorizer. Shoes can bring in so many nasty germs and particles to carpets. I keep a mason jar with baking soda and about 4 drops of Thieves essential oil and sprinkle it on our carpet and even our mattresses! It brings a sweet and spicy cinnamon smell to our home while knocking out nasty bacteria
- Tea Tree oil for a happy face. I get occasional breakouts and I am always trying to rid of them fast, so I like adding a little Tea Tree oil to help knock them out.
- Geranium on wool dryer balls. I don’t like using dryer sheets on my clothes, but I do miss the extra boost of scent they bring. I like to add 4 drops of Geranium onto my dryer ball to add a sweet, floral scent to my clothes without all the chemicals.
- Lavender spray for a better night’s rest. I keep a bottle of lavender spray by my bed at all times. I fill my bottle with witch hazel or a cheap vodka and add 6 drops of Lavender. I shake it up and spray it on my sheets and pillow before bedtime. It calms and relaxes me so I can get a good night of sleep.
- Peppermint and work, work. Need help focusing on work projects or have a big test coming up? Diffuse peppermint to help you get focused. Better yet, when you have that big test, wear a diffuser necklace during the test to use the Peppermint scent to assist with memory association from studying.
- Keeping romance alive with Shutran and Ylang Ylang. Sometimes, it can be hard for couples to connect after long work days, kids, and errands. Men can use Shutran as a seducing cologne and women can use Ylang Ylang to increase libido. Apply one drop with one drop of carrier oil to neck, thighs, and small of your back.
- Morning pick me up with Peppermint. Can’t seem to wake up in the morning? Put a drop of Peppermint Vitality on a q-tip and suck on it! Peppermint has such a strong, fresh taste that it’ll wake you right up and get you ready to go for the day.
- Keep your bathroom smelling fresh. I admit it, bathrooms aren’t always the best smelling places, unless you have this essential oil life hack. I use SCOTT® Extra Soft Toilet Paper from Dollar General and add 1 drop of Grapefruit, 1 drop of Lemongrass, and 1 drop of Bergamot inside the roll. Every time your guests spin the roll, the scent is released! SCOTT® Extra Soft Tissue has such soft, thick sheets for toilet paper rolls. I grab mine from Dollar General so I can use my DG Digital Coupons. To redeem Digital Coupons all you need to do is sign up at “Create Account” and load which coupons you would like to use. Then visit your local Dollar General to redeem your coupons when you check out.
- Remove grease spots on clothes with Lemon. I know it sounds counter intuitive to use an oil on an oil spot, but it works! Just put a drop of Lemon essential oil on your grease spot, rub in, and then immediately wash. The Lemon will stick to the grease and pull it off your clothes.
- Create a natural scrubber with Thieves. I used to be a huge fan of Comet cleaner until I realized how bad it was for me because of all the chemicals. I filled a short, wide-mouthed mason jar with baking soda, added about 6-8 drops of Thieves, and then added water to create a paste. You can use this to naturally scrub your tubs, toilets, sinks, stoves, or counter tops without worrying about bleach and other chemicals.
- Freshen your breath on the run with Peppermint. I’m obsessed with Olive Garden’s Fettuccine Alfredo. Problem is, it’s got a TON of garlic and always leaves me with garlic breath after I’ve eaten. I started carrying Peppermint Vitality in my purse so I can just put a drop in my water or tea (or even just put a drop on my tongue) before we leave. No one likes stinky breath! This totally helps it.
- Essential oil infused tissues for the car. I don’t know about you, but I ALWAYS need tissues in the glove box of my car for either a rogue sneeze or to wipe my hands. I love making my essential oil infused tissues ahead of time and storing them in the glove box just for emergencies.
- Rid of STP with Purification. Raise your hand if you’re like me and forget about laundry in the washer. Surely I’m not the only one! My friend Theresa loves to tell me that she puts Purification on a wash cloth when she throws her clothes in the dryer to rid of STP- stinky towel problem. It’s one essential oil life hack I’ve started using as well!
- Reduce cravings with Peppermint. Mathew and I are currently doing Whole 30 (well, more like Whole 90) and can’t have sugar and other goodies we’ve grown used to. I love putting a drop of Peppermint Vitality on my tongue to help reduce cravings. You know that taste you get whenever you brush your teeth and try to eat right after? This will give you the same effect whenever you’re on the run.
- Bug bite soothing with Lavender. In Texas we don’t have little mosquitoes…they’re like the size of birds. Ok, maybe not that bad, but still, they’re big. I add 5 drops of lavender to a roller ball bottle filled with carrier oil. Any time I get a bug bite, I love using Lavender to just soothe my skin.
- Remove sticky residue with Orange. Sticky messes happen. Use a drop of orange to remove sticky residue off surfaces!
- At-home wrinkle reducer with Frankincense. I’m working towards using an all-natural beauty regimen and LOVE using Frankincense to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Frankincense is in a LOT of beauty products because of it’s amazing properties to assist with skin. I have 10 drops of Frankincense in a roller ball bottle filled with grapeseed oil that I roll in an upward motion onto any places I feel could use a boost.
- Intense relaxation with Stress Away. Stress Away is one of my favorite essential oils. I usually keep a roller ball fitment on one Stress Away bottle and then keep another bottle with the regular lid so I can make bath salts for relaxing in the tub. I take 4 cups of epsom salt, 4 tablespoons of baking soda, and put 4-6 drops of Stress Away inside a mason jar. Then, I shake it up really well and pour 1/4th of it into my bath.
- Easy DIY Makeup Remover with Roman Chamomile. I hate buying makeup remover wipes and I’m not good at washing my face before bed (bad habit, I know.) Lately I’ve been using a DIY makeup remover with a 1/2 cup of coconut oil and 1 drop of Roman Chamomile. I melt the coconut oil about 30 seconds in the microwave until it becomes a liquid, add my Roman Chamomile, and pour it into a small mason jar. Once it’s cooled and back into a solid, I scoop a tiny bit out, rub it on my face, and then wipe it off with SCOTT® Towels from Dollar General. They feature ridges that quickly absorb your makeup residue with the coconut oil and leave your face clean and dry.
- Naturally eliminate smells with Purification. A spray bottle filled with Witch Hazel and 5 drops of Purification can get out any smell. I use it to freshen up couch cushions, pillows, even seats in my car. Think of it as a natural Febreeze.
- Assist sore muscles with PanAway and Copaiba. I keep a roller ball bottle with 10 drops of PanAway and 5 of Copaiba (filled to the top with fractionated coconut oil) in my purse at all times. During long car rides or even after a long day of holding Addie, I just roll it where I need relief. It’s my little stick of muscle magic and I refuse to go anywhere without it. Also great to keep handy when you’re wearing heels and haven’t in a long time.
- Easy craft day with essential oil play doh. Sometimes you’ve got to get creative. I love this essential oil play doh recipe because it’s fun and easy to do. Took me hardly any time at all to make and Addie loves it. I scented mine with a different scent for each color. They’re a hit!
- Healthy lash growth with Lavender. Add a drop of Lavender to your favorite mascara to promote healthy lash growth.
- Clean makeup brushes with vinegar, Grapefruit, and Tea Tree. I don’t like using parabens and sulfates on my makeup brushes. I want them to stay as nice as they can for a while. I now clean my makeup brushes with a mix of vinegar (and scrub them really really good), Grapefruit oil, and Tea Tree oil. The Grapefruit gives a fun, citrus-y scent to the brushes while the Tea Tree helps rid of bacteria. Then I shape my brushes and lay them on SCOTT® Towels from Dollar General to dry for about a day. It makes me so happy whenever I have clean brushes!
- Kick up your blueberry muffins with Lemon oil. I make the best blueberry muffins with lemon essential oil– no lie. Try them. I promise you’ll love them and you’ll be so happy you aren’t getting lemon juice and seeds everywhere.
- Use essential oils instead of spices. Run out of spices for your recipe? Young Living has a new dietary line of essential oils called Vitality. I love using Cinnamon Bark Vitality or Nutmeg Vitality in desserts, Basil Vitality in spaghetti sauce, and even Peppermint Vitality in brownies. Delish (and way better than having to run to the grocery store for one spice!)
- Soften skin with coconut oil and Lavender. I’ve been using coconut oil and Lavender on Addie since she was about 6 months old. I have a container in her room with about 1/2 a cup of coconut oil and 2 drops of Lavender that I massage on her every night before bed. She gets SO many compliments on her skin that I started using it after I get out of the shower too. It’s amazing what the combination will do to keep your skin healthy and glowing.
- Drink more water with Citrus Fresh. I will be honest- I’m not much of a water drinker. I would much rather prefer a Dr Pepper or a half and half iced tea. But, now that Mathew and I are doing Whole 30, water is pretty much all we drink. We are flushing out toxins and keeping our bodies hydrated with 1 drop of Citrus Fresh Vitality in a glass of water. It makes drinking water more bearable and I feel like I drink way more water than I used to now.
- Whiten teeth with coconut oil and spearmint. Ever heard of oil pulling? Coconut oil has tons of amazing properties that can help remove toxins and whiten your teeth naturally. I do a tablespoon or coconut oil with a drop of spearmint (just so it freshens my breath too) and it’s amazing! If you don’t think you can do a whole tablespoon, start small with a teaspoon and work your way up!
Don’t forget to find your nearest Dollar General, grab your DG Digital Coupons and SCOTT® bonus packs in-store for a limited time. Signing up for Dollar General’s Digital Coupon site is easy and can be done in a few quick steps by clicking this link.
If you would like more information on Young Living Essential Oils check out the Young Living tab above. There is a lot of great information about essential oils and I would love to help you dive into oily life. Also, let me know if you try these essential oil life hacks and what you think!
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please confirm any information obtained from or through this web site with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment because of something you have read on this website.